A-011 Safe Rooms and Shelters: 4 PDH
Description of the course / activity content:
The Safe Rooms and Sheters online PDH course is a part of the Building Design category of courses. Chemical, biological, radiological, and explosive (CBRE) attacks are a credible threat to our society. Such attacks can cause a large number of fatalities or injuries in high-occupancy buildings and residential neighborhoods.
This course reviews the potential manmade threats to which a shelter may be exposed and the level of protection (LOP) that may be assumed by building owners when deciding to build a shelter to support preparedness objectives established in the National Preparedness Goal. It also presents information about the design and construction of shelters in the work place, home, and community buildings that can provide protection in response to manmade CBRE threats.
The online PDH course is based on the FEMA Publication tilted, “Safe Rooms and Shelters” (FEMA 453).
This course is intended to be used by architects, civil and structural, mechanical, electrical engineers and others interested in learning about safe rooms and shelters.
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Identify potential manmade threats to which a shelter may be exposed
- Discuss the level of protection (LOP) that may be assumed by building owners when deciding to build a shelter
- Describe key operation zones in and around a shelter that need to be taken into consideration as a means to provide safe ingress and egress and medical assistance to victims of a manmade event
- Cite information about the design and construction of shelters in the work place, home or community building that will provide protection
- List high-risk targets that may be exposed to chemical, biological, radiological, and explosive (CBRE) attacks
- Identify safe evacuation distances from explosive threats
- Discuss siting considerations for shelters
- Cite the minimum occupancy duration, toxic-free area (TFA) floor space, and ventilation requirements for shelters
- Cite the minimum square footage and occupancy requirements for shelters
- Discuss the egress system considerations involved that effect evacuation procedures
Refunds and Cancellation Policies
The course is accepted by the Professional Engineering boards in states listed on this page. In an unlikely case the course is not accepted by the board listed on this page, we will refund the full payment and will pay for you to take another course of equivalent monetary and PDH / CEU value. For complete list of courses related to Building Design category of courses please click here.
Length of the Course / Activity
This course is intended to be studied at self-pace and it should take on average of 4 hour to read and be able to comprehend the material to successfully past the online quiz.
To receive the certificate of completion for the above 4 PDH online course, you will need to take a 20-question multiple choice quiz based on the reference material supplied and pass with minimum score of 70%. There is no time limit for the quiz and it can be taken multiple times until a passing score of 70% is achieved.
Certificate of Completion
Once you achieve a passing score of 70% on the quiz you will receive and be able to print your Certificate of Completion as a record of your continuing education. PDH Star will keep a record of your certificate for the duration as required by your state of licensure. You will be able to log on to your account and view and print your past Certificate of Completion.
This course is accepted in all states mandating continuing education:
AK, AL, AR, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY
For detailed state by state requirements click here.
Do you need help choosing the right course or package for you? Please give us a call or send us an email and we will be happy to provide guidance on which courses are most relevant for you and create a customary course package.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 4 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 2
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self