A-017 Planning and Designing Buildings in Coastal Areas: 3 PDH
Description of the Planning and Designing Buildings in Coastal Areas course
The Planning and Designing Buildings in Coastal Areas online PDH course is a part of the Building Design category of courses. This course provides a summary of all recommendations for exceeding National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) regulatory requirements concerning coastal construction.
In general, homes in coastal areas must be designed and built to withstand higher loads and more extreme conditions. Homes in coastal areas will require more maintenance and upkeep. Because of their exposure to higher loads and extreme conditions, homes in coastal areas will cost more to design, construct, maintain, repair, and insure. The course gives guidance on sitting the building on site, building form, lowest floor elevation V Zone design and construction certification.
This course is based on FEMA “Home Builder’s Guide to Coastal Construction”, Technical Fact Sheet Series, FEMA P-499.
This course is intended for use by architects, civil and structural engineers, design and construction professionals, owners, facility managers, students and others interested in learning about planning and designing buildings in coastal areas.
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- discuss how coastal construction requirements are different from those for inland construction
- explain the characteristics that make for a successful coastal building
- summarize recommendations for exceeding National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) regulatory requirements concerning coastal construction
- explain the purpose of Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs), Digital Flood Insurance Rate Maps (DFIRMs), highlight features that are important to coastal builders, and explain how to obtain FIRMs, DFIRMs, and Flood Insurance Studies (FISs)
- describe the benefits of exceeding the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) minimum elevation requirements
- identify common construction practices that violate NFIP regulations, which result in significantly higher flood insurance premiums
- discuss the NFIP Elevation Certificate
- explain the certification requirements for structural design and methods of construction in V Zones
- recommend design and construction practices that reduce the likelihood of flood damage in the event that flood levels exceed the Base Flood Elevation (BFE)
Refunds and Cancellation Policies
The course is accepted by the Professional Engineering boards in states listed on this page. In an unlikely case the course is not accepted by the board listed on this page, we will refund the full payment and will pay for you to take another course of equivalent monetary and PDH / CEU value. For complete list of courses related to Building Design category of courses please click here.
Length of the Course / Activity
This course is intended to be studied at self-pace and it should take on average of 3 hour to read and be able to comprehend the material to successfully past the online quiz.
To receive the certificate of completion for the above 3 PDH online course, you will need to take a 15-question multiple choice quiz based on the reference material supplied and pass with minimum score of 70%. There is no time limit for the quiz and it can be taken multiple times until a passing score of 70% is achieved.
Certificate of Completion
Once you achieve a passing score of 70% on the quiz you will receive and be able to print your Certificate of Completion as a record of your continuing education. PDH Star will keep a record of your certificate for the duration as required by your state of licensure. You will be able to log on to your account and view and print your past Certificate of Completion.
This course is accepted in all states mandating continuing education:
AK, AL, AR, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY
For detailed state by state requirements click here.
Do you need help choosing the right course or package for you? Please give us a call or send us an email and we will be happy to provide guidance on which courses are most relevant for you and create a customary course package.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 3 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 6
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self
A-017 Planning and Designing Buildings in Coastal Areas