A-018 Building Envelope in Coastal Areas: 5 PDH
Description of the Building Envelope in Coastal Areas course
The Building Envelope in Coastal Areas online PDH course is a part of the Building Design category of courses. This course provides technical guidance and recommendations on design, construction and maintenance of building envelope elements: siding, roof, windows and doors, flashing and other components of the systems in coastal areas. The envelope is the first line of defense for the building and the occupants. It could be subjected to very high wind loads, with increased magnitude due to local wind pressures at corners.
Special consideration is given to connections between various system components as they are critical to satisfactory performance of the building envelope in times of extreme wind conditions.
This course is based on FEMA “Home Builder’s Guide to Coastal Construction”, Technical Fact Sheet Series, FEMA P-499.
This course is intended for use by architects, civil and structural engineers, design and construction professionals, owners, facility managers, students and others interested in learning about building envelopes in coastal areas.
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- explain the function of housewrap, examine its attributes, and address common problems associated with its use
- explain the importance of proper roof and deck flashing, and to provide typical and enhanced flashing techniques for coastal homes
- provide basic design and installation tips for various types of siding that will enhance wind resistance in high-wind regions
- recommend practices for installing brick veneer that will enhance wind resistance in high-wind regions
- describe flashing detail concepts for window and door openings
- describe process of selection and installation of storm shutters and impact-resistant glazing and other types of opening protection in windborne debris regions
- describe proper roof sheathing installation, emphasize its importance in coastal construction, and illustrate fastening methods that will enhance the durability of a building in a high-wind area
- advise on recommended practices for use of roofing underlayment as an enhanced secondary water barrier in coastal environments
- recommend practices for installing asphalt roof shingles that will enhance wind resistance in high-wind, coastal regions
- provide recommended practices for designing and installing extruded concrete and clay tiles that will enhance wind resistance in high-wind areas
- describe practices for minimizing water intrusion through roof vent systems that can lead to interior damage and mold growth in high-wind regions
- describe practices for designing and installing metal roof systems that will enhance wind resistance in high-wind regions
Refunds and Cancellation Policies
The course is accepted by the Professional Engineering boards in states listed on this page. In an unlikely case the course is not accepted by the board listed on this page, we will refund the full payment and will pay for you to take another course of equivalent monetary and PDH / CEU value. For complete list of courses related to Building Design category of courses please click here.
Length of the Course / Activity
This course is intended to be studied at self-pace and it should take on average of 5 hour to read and be able to comprehend the material to successfully past the online quiz.
To receive the certificate of completion for the above 5 PDH online course, you will need to take a 25-question multiple choice quiz based on the reference material supplied and pass with minimum score of 70%. There is no time limit for the quiz and it can be taken multiple times until a passing score of 70% is achieved.
Certificate of Completion
Once you achieve a passing score of 70% on the quiz you will receive and be able to print your Certificate of Completion as a record of your continuing education. PDH Star will keep a record of your certificate for the duration as required by your state of licensure. You will be able to log on to your account and view and print your past Certificate of Completion.
This course is accepted in all states mandating continuing education:
AK, AL, AR, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY
For detailed state by state requirements click here.
Do you need help choosing the right course or package for you? Please give us a call or send us an email and we will be happy to provide guidance on which courses are most relevant for you and create a customary course package.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 5 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self