CE-083 Wastewater Treatment I – Activated Sludge: 3 PDH
Description of the Wastewater Treatment I – Activated Sludge course
The Wastewater Treatment I – Activated Sludge online PDH course is a part of the Civil Engineering category of courses.
The activated sludge process is very widely used for biological wastewater treatment. This course includes background on biological wastewater treatment, a general description of the activated sludge process, information about several variations of the activated sludge process, discussion of design calculations for an activated sludge aeration tank, and discussion of activated sludge operational calculations. Example calculations and discussion of using an Excel spreadsheet for making the calculations are also included.
This course is intended primarily for civil engineers, environmental engineers, and chemical engineers. After completing this course you will be familiar with the common variations of the activated sludge process used for biological wastewater treatment and be able to make typical aeration tank design and operational calculations.
At the end of the course, you will:
- Know the equation for biological oxidation and how it fits into the organic carbon cycle
- Know the equation for photosynthesis and how it fits into the organic carbon cycle
- Know the major components of an activated sludge wastewater treatment system
- Be able to describe the differences between an extended aeration and conventional activated sludge system
- Be able to describe the differences between a contact stabilization and conventional activated sludge system
- Be able to calculate required aeration tank volume (in U.S. units) for a specified volumetric loading, hydraulic residence time, or aeration tank F:M ratio, if given suitable aeration tank influent and aeration tank parameter information.
- Be able to calculate required aeration tank volume (in S.I. units) for a specified volumetric loading, hydraulic residence time, or aeration tank F:M ratio, if given suitable aeration tank influent and aeration tank parameter information.
- Be able to calculate the required activated sludge recycle flow rate, waste activated sludge flow rate, and aeration tank F:M ratio, if given suitable wastewater stream and aeration tank information along with the desired value for sludge retention time.
- Be able to calculate the required air/oxygen/blower requirements and alkalinity requirements for an activated sludge process.
Refunds and Cancellation Policies
The course is accepted by the Professional Engineering boards in states listed on this page. In an unlikely case the course is not accepted by the board listed on this page, we will refund the full payment and will pay for you to take another course of equivalent monetary and PDH / CEU value. For complete list of courses related to Civil Engineering category of courses please click here.
Length of the Course / Activity
This course is intended to be studied at self-pace and it should take on average of 3 hour to read and be able to comprehend the material to successfully past the online quiz.
To receive the certificate of completion for the above 3 PDH online course, you will need to take a 15-question multiple choice quiz based on the reference material supplied and pass with minimum score of 70%. There is no time limit for the quiz and it can be taken multiple times until a passing score of 70% is achieved.
Certificate of Completion
Once you achieve a passing score of 70% on the quiz you will receive and be able to print your Certificate of Completion as a record of your continuing education. PDH Star will keep a record of your certificate for the duration as required by your state of licensure. You will be able to log on to your account and view and print your past Certificate of Completion.
This course is accepted in all states mandating continuing education:
AK, AL, AR, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY
For detailed state by state requirements click here.
Do you need help choosing the right course or package for you? Please give us a call or send us an email and we will be happy to provide guidance on which courses are most relevant for you and create a customary course package.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 3 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 4
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self