CE-088 Flow Measurements in Pipes and Ducts: 4 PDH
Description of the Flow Measurements in Pipes and Ducts course
The Flow Measurements in Pipes and Ducts online PDH course is a part of the Civil Engineering category of courses.
This course is about measurement of the flow rate of a fluid flowing under pressure in a closed conduit. The closed conduit is often circular, but also may be square or rectangular (such as a heating duct) or any other shape. The other major category of flow is open channel flow, which is the flow of a liquid with a free surface open to atmospheric pressure. Measurement of the flow rate of a fluid flowing under pressure, is carried out for a variety of purposes, such as billing for water supply to homes or businesses or, for monitoring or process control of a wide variety of industrial processes, which involve flowing fluids. Several categories of pipe flow measurement devices will be described and discussed, including some associated calculations.
This course is intended primarily for mechanical, civil and chemical, environmental, and industrial engineers. Someone completing this course will gain knowledge about twelve different types of meters for measuring fluid flow rate in a closed conduit. They will learn about typical calculations for differential pressure meters and pitot tubes. They will learn the general principles of operation for each type and general advantages and disadvantages of each.
At the end of the course, you will:
- Be able to calculate the liquid flow rate from measured pressure difference, fluid properties, and meter parameters, using the provided equations for venturi, orifice, and flow nozzle meters.
- Be able to calculate gas flow rate from measured pressure difference, fluid properties, and meter parameters, using the provided equations for venturi, orifice, and flow nozzle meters.
- Be able to determine which type of ISO standard pressure tap locations are being used for a given orifice meter.
- Be able to specify the distance of the upstream pressure tap from the face of an orifice meter for any of the three ISO standard pressure tap configurations.
- Be able to specify the distance of the downstream pressure tap from the face of an orifice meter for any of the three ISO standard pressure tap configurations.
- Be able to calculate the orifice coefficient, Co, for specified orifice and pipe diameters, pressure tap locations and fluid properties.
- Be able to estimate the density of a specified gas at specified temperature and pressure using the Ideal Gas Equation.
- Be able to calculate the velocity of a fluid for given pitot tube reading and fluid density.
- Know the basic differences between a transit time ultrasonic flow meter and a Doppler ultrasonic flow meter.
- Know the general configuration and principle of operation of rotameters and positive displacement, electromagnetic, target, turbine, vortex, ultrasonic, Coriolis mass flow, and thermal mass flow meters.
- Be familiar with the general characteristics of the types of flow meters discussed in this course, as summarized in Table 2 of the course content.
Refunds and Cancellation Policies
The course is accepted by the Professional Engineering boards in states listed on this page. In an unlikely case the course is not accepted by the board listed on this page, we will refund the full payment and will pay for you to take another course of equivalent monetary and PDH / CEU value. For complete list of courses related to Civil Engineering category of courses please click here.
Length of the Course / Activity
This course is intended to be studied at self-pace and it should take on average of 4 hours to read and be able to comprehend the material to successfully past the online quiz.
To receive the certificate of completion for the above 4 PDH online course, you will need to take a 20-question multiple choice quiz based on the reference material supplied and pass with minimum score of 70%. There is no time limit for the quiz and it can be taken multiple times until a passing score of 70% is achieved.
Certificate of Completion
Once you achieve a passing score of 70% on the quiz you will receive and be able to print your Certificate of Completion as a record of your continuing education. PDH Star will keep a record of your certificate for the duration as required by your state of licensure. You will be able to log on to your account and view and print your past Certificate of Completion.
This course is accepted in all states mandating continuing education:
AK, AL, AR, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY
For detailed state by state requirements click here.
Do you need help choosing the right course or package for you? Please give us a call or send us an email and we will be happy to provide guidance on which courses are most relevant for you and create a customary course package.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 4 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 2
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self