CE-089 Manning Equation for Open Channels: 4 PDH
Description of the Manning Equation for Open Channels course
The Manning Equation for Open Channels online PDH course is a part of the Civil Engineering category of courses.
The Manning equation is a widely used empirical equation for uniform open channel flow of water. It provides a relationship among several open channel flow parameters of interest: flow rate or average velocity, bottom slope of the channel, cross-sectional area of flow, wetted perimeter, and Manning roughness coefficient for the channel. Open channel flow takes place in natural channels like rivers and streams, as well as in manmade channels like those used to transport wastewater and in circular sewers flowing partially full.
The main topic of this course is uniform open channel flow, in which the channel slope, water velocity and water depth remain constant. This includes calculations with the Manning equation and the use of Excel spreadsheets for those calculations.
This course is intended for hydrologists, civil engineers, hydraulic engineers, highway engineers and environmental engineers. After completing this course you will have knowledge about the basic nature of flow in open channels and the common ways of classifying open channel flow (laminar or turbulent, steady state or unsteady state, uniform or non-uniform, and critical, subcritical or supercritical). Practice in the use of the Manning equation for a variety of uniform open channel flow calculations will be gained through several worked examples.
At the end of the course, you will:
- Know the difference between laminar & turbulent open channel flow.
- Know the difference between steady state & unsteady state open channel flow.
- Know the difference between uniform & non-uniform open channel flow.
- Be able to calculate the hydraulic radius for flow of a specified depth in an open channel with specified cross-sectional shape and size.
- Be able to calculate the Reynolds Number for a specified open channel flow and determine whether the flow will be laminar or turbulent flow.
- Be able to use tables such as the examples given in this course to determine a value for Manning roughness coefficient for flow in a manmade channel.
- Be able to use the Manning Equation to calculate volumetric flow rate, average velocity, Manning roughness coefficient, or channel bottom slope, if given adequate information about a reach of open channel flow
- Be able to use the Manning Equation, with an iterative procedure, to calculate normal depth for specified volumetric flow rate, channel bottom slope, channel shape & size, and Manning roughness coefficient for a reach of open channel flow
- Be able to make Manning Equation calculations in either U.S. units or S.I. units.
- Be able to calculate the Manning roughness coefficient for a natural channel based on descriptive information about the channel.
- Be able to use the Manning Equation to make calculations for the flow of water in a circular pipe either flowing full or flowing half full.
- Be able to carry out a variety of calculations for full or partially full flow of water under gravity in a circular pipe.
Refunds and Cancellation Policies
The course is accepted by the Professional Engineering boards in states listed on this page. In an unlikely case the course is not accepted by the board listed on this page, we will refund the full payment and will pay for you to take another course of equivalent monetary and PDH / CEU value. For complete list of courses related to Civil Engineering category of courses please click here.
Length of the Course / Activity
This course is intended to be studied at self-pace and it should take on average of 4 hours to read and be able to comprehend the material to successfully past the online quiz.
To receive the certificate of completion for the above 4 PDH online course, you will need to take a 20-question multiple choice quiz based on the reference material supplied and pass with minimum score of 70%. There is no time limit for the quiz and it can be taken multiple times until a passing score of 70% is achieved.
Certificate of Completion
Once you achieve a passing score of 70% on the quiz you will receive and be able to print your Certificate of Completion as a record of your continuing education. PDH Star will keep a record of your certificate for the duration as required by your state of licensure. You will be able to log on to your account and view and print your past Certificate of Completion.
This course is accepted in all states mandating continuing education:
AK, AL, AR, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY
For detailed state by state requirements click here.
Do you need help choosing the right course or package for you? Please give us a call or send us an email and we will be happy to provide guidance on which courses are most relevant for you and create a customary course package.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 4 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self