CE-092 Pipe Flow-Friction Factor Calculation: 3 PDH
Description of the Pipe Flow-Friction Factor Calculation course
The Pipe Flow-Friction Factor Calculation online PDH course is a part of the Civil Engineering category of courses.
Several kinds of pipe flow calculations can be made with the Darcy-Weisbach equation and the Moody friction factor. These calculations can be conveniently carried out with an Excel spreadsheet. Many of the calculations require an iterative solution, so they are especially suitable for an Excel spreadsheet solution. This course includes discussion of the Darcy-Weisbach equation and the parameters in the equation along with the U.S. and S.I. units to be used. Example calculations and sample Excel spreadsheet screenshots for making the calculations are also presented and discussed.
This course is intended primarily for civil engineers, mechanical engineers, chemical engineers, and environmental engineers. After completing this course you will be able to make calculations with the Darcy Weisbach equation and the Moody friction factor equations to calculate several different unknown parameters when sufficient input data is provided. You will also be prepared to use Excel spreadsheets to efficiently make the calculations.
At the end of the course, you will:
- Be able to calculate the Reynolds number for pipe flow with specified flow conditions
- Be able to determine whether a specified pipe flow is laminar or turbulent flow for specified flow conditions
- Be able to calculate the entrance length for pipe flow with specified flow conditions
- Be able to obtain a value for the friction factor using the Moody diagram for given Re and /D.
- Be able to calculate a value for the friction factor for specified Re and /D, using the Moody friction factor equations.
- Be able to use the Darcy Weisbach equation and the Moody friction factor equations to calculate the frictional head loss and frictional pressure drop for a given flow rate of a specified fluid through a pipe with known diameter, length and roughness.
- Be able to use the Darcy Weisbach equation and the Moody friction factor equations to calculate the required diameter for a given flow rate of a specified fluid through a pipe with known length and roughness, with specified allowable head loss.
- Be able to use the Darcy Weisbach equation and the Moody friction factor equations to calculate the fluid flow rate through a pipe with known diameter, length and roughness, with specified frictional head loss.
- Be able to include the effects of pipe fittings, entrances and exits (minor losses) in the Darcy Weisbach/Moody friction factor calculations.
Refunds and Cancellation Policies
The course is accepted by the Professional Engineering boards in states listed on this page. In an unlikely case the course is not accepted by the board listed on this page, we will refund the full payment and will pay for you to take another course of equivalent monetary and PDH / CEU value. For complete list of courses related to Civil Engineering category of courses please click here.
Length of the Course / Activity
This course is intended to be studied at self-pace and it should take on average of 3 hours to read and be able to comprehend the material to successfully past the online quiz.
To receive the certificate of completion for the above 3 PDH online course, you will need to take a 15-question multiple choice quiz based on the reference material supplied and pass with minimum score of 70%. There is no time limit for the quiz and it can be taken multiple times until a passing score of 70% is achieved.
Certificate of Completion
Once you achieve a passing score of 70% on the quiz you will receive and be able to print your Certificate of Completion as a record of your continuing education. PDH Star will keep a record of your certificate for the duration as required by your state of licensure. You will be able to log on to your account and view and print your past Certificate of Completion.
This course is accepted in all states mandating continuing education:
AK, AL, AR, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY
For detailed state by state requirements click here.
Do you need help choosing the right course or package for you? Please give us a call or send us an email and we will be happy to provide guidance on which courses are most relevant for you and create a customary course package.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 3 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self