CE-093 Rational Method Hydrological Calculations: 3 PDH
Description of the Rational Method Hydrological Calculations course
The Rational Method Hydrological Calculations online PDH course is a part of the Civil Engineering category of courses.
Calculation of peak storm water runoff rate from a drainage area is often done with the Rational Method equation (Q = CiA). Calculations with the Rational Method equation often involve determination of the design rainfall intensity and the time of concentration of the watershed as well. Example calculations and examples using an Excel spreadsheet for Rational Method equation calculations and for determination of the design rainfall intensity and the time of concentration of the drainage area, are presented and discussed in this course. The parameters in the equations are defined with typical units for both U.S. and S.I. units.
This course is intended primarily for civil engineers, hydraulic engineers, highway engineers, and environmental engineers. After completing this course you will be able to calculate peak storm water runoff rate using the Rational Method equation in either U.S. or S.I. units, including determination of runoff coefficient, calculation of time of concentration, and determination of design rainfall intensity. You will also be prepared to use Excel spreadsheets to efficiently make the calculations.
At the end of the course, you will:
- Know the parameters and their U.S. and S.I. units to be used in the Rational Method equation
- Be able to calculate peak storm water runoff rate with the Rational Method equation, using either U.S. or S.I. units
- Be able to place a given soil into one of the four SCS soil groups based on its measured minimum infiltration rate
- Be able to place a given soil into one of the four SCS soil groups based on its description
- Be able to determine a value of the Rational Method runoff coefficient based on land use, soil group, and slope of the watershed
- Be able to calculate the overland sheet flow travel time for a watershed using the Manning Kinematic equation
- Be able to calculate the shallow concentrated flow travel time for a watershed using the NRCS method
- Be able to calculate the open channel flow travel time for a watershed using the Manning equation
- Know the form of the equation used for rainfall intensity as a function of storm duration for a specified return period.
- Be able to use an Excel spreadsheet to make the types of calculations discussed in this course.
Refunds and Cancellation Policies
The course is accepted by the Professional Engineering boards in states listed on this page. In an unlikely case the course is not accepted by the board listed on this page, we will refund the full payment and will pay for you to take another course of equivalent monetary and PDH / CEU value. For complete list of courses related to Civil Engineering category of courses please click here.
Length of the Course / Activity
This course is intended to be studied at self-pace and it should take on average of 3 hours to read and be able to comprehend the material to successfully past the online quiz.
To receive the certificate of completion for the above 3 PDH online course, you will need to take a 15-question multiple choice quiz based on the reference material supplied and pass with minimum score of 70%. There is no time limit for the quiz and it can be taken multiple times until a passing score of 70% is achieved.
Certificate of Completion
Once you achieve a passing score of 70% on the quiz you will receive and be able to print your Certificate of Completion as a record of your continuing education. PDH Star will keep a record of your certificate for the duration as required by your state of licensure. You will be able to log on to your account and view and print your past Certificate of Completion.
This course is accepted in all states mandating continuing education:
AK, AL, AR, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY
For detailed state by state requirements click here.
Do you need help choosing the right course or package for you? Please give us a call or send us an email and we will be happy to provide guidance on which courses are most relevant for you and create a customary course package.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 3 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self