E-090 Capacitance (T&M): 4 PDH
Description of the course / activity content:
The Capacitance 4 hour PDH Time & Monitored online course is a part of the Electrical category courses. This courses provide guidance on use of capacitor devices and the theory behind. Inductance is the property of a coil that causes electrical energy to be stored in a magnetic field about the coil. The energy is stored in such a way as to oppose any change in current. Capacitance is similar to inductance because it also causes a storage of energy. A capacitor is a device that stores electrical energy in anelectrostatic field. The energy is stored in such a way as to oppose any change in voltage. This course also explains how capacitance opposes a change in voltage.
This course is based on Chapter 3 of Module 2, “Capacitance” of the Navy Electricity and Electronic Training Series (NAVEDTRA 14174),.
This course is intended for use by electrical engineers, design and construction professionals, students and others interested in learning about basic electrical theory.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- State four characteristics of electrostatic lines of force
- State the effect that an electrostatic field has on a charged particle
- State the basic parts of a capacitor
- State factors that affect the value of capacitance
- Given the dielectric constant and the area of and the distance between the plates of a capacitor, solve for capacitance
- State two types of power losses associated with capacitors
- Define the term “working voltage” of a capacitor, and compute the working voltage of a capacitor
- State what happens to the electrons in a capacitor when the capacitor is charging and when it is discharging
- State the relationship between voltage and time in an RC circuit when the circuit is charging and discharging
- State the relationship between the voltage drop across a resistor and the source voltage in an RC circuit
- Given the component values of an RC circuit, compute the RC time constant
- Use the universal time constant chart to determine the value of an unknown capacitor in an RC circuit
- Calculate the value of total capacitance in a circuit containing capacitors of known value in series.
- Calculate the value of total capacitance in a circuit containing capacitors of known value in parallel
- State the difference between different types of capacitors.
- Determine the electrical values of capacitors using the color code
Refunds and Cancellation Policies
The course is accepted by the Professional Engineering boards in states listed on this page. In an unlikely case the course is not accepted by the board listed on this page, we will refund the full payment and will pay for you to take another course of equivalent monetary and PDH / CEU value. For complete list of courses related to Electrical Engineering please click here.
Length of the Course / Activity
This course is intended to be studied at self-pace and it should take on average of 4 hours to read and be able to comprehend the material to successfully past the online quiz
To receive the certificate of completion for the above 4 PDH online course, you will need to take a 20 question multiple choice quiz based on the reference material supplied and pass with minimum score of 70%. There is no time limit for the quiz and it can be taken multiple times until a passing score of 70% is achieved
Certificate of Completion
Once you achieve a passing score of 70% on the quiz you will receive and be able to print your Certificate of Completion as a record of your continuing education. PDH Star will keep a record of your certificate for the duration as required by your state of licensure. You will be able to log on to your account and view and print your past Certificate of Completion
The above course is specifically prepared to satisfy the requirements of the state of Ohio but is also accepted in all states mandating continuing education:
AK, AL, AR, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY
For detailed state by state requirements click here
Do you need help choosing the right course or package for you? Please give us a call or send us an email and we will be happy to provide guidance on which courses are most relevant for you and create a customary course package
- Lectures 6
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 4 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self