M-002 MEP Sustainable Design Guide
- 8 (Registered)
MEP Sustainable Design Guide
This MEP Sustainable Design Guide online course is part of Mechanical category courses and provides guidance on the sustainable design of mechanical, electrical and plumbing building systems. It provides details on high-performance engineering design fundamentals and requirements, and covers all building systems such as mechanical, electrical, plumbing, lighting, central plant, metering and building control systems. The course explores various concept of building systems design and provides the basis for designing energy efficient buildings.
Although this course is based on the Los Alamos National Laboratory report LA-UR 02-6914, called “LANL Sustainable Design Guide”, the principals covered here can be extended to all other building types.
This course is intended for use by mechanical, electrical and plumbing engineers, environmental and sustainability professionals, design and construction professionals, students and others interested in learning about sustainable MEP design.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand what constitutes high-performance engineering design and how it can be applied to design of sustainable buildings
- Understand natural daylighting, different sources of artificial light (incandescent, clear glass, fluorescent), and different lighting concepts (direct vs indirect) and how they influence the design of other systems
- Conceptually design an HVAC system that provides a comfortable and healthy indoor environment by using energy efficient principles
- Discuss HVAC zones, peak load analysis, and system selection
- Understand central plant systems, including chilled water, hot water, and Combined Heat and Power (CHP) plants
- Explain efficient indoor plumbing fixtures and systems, rainwater harvesting, recycling systems, and how they contribute to reduced water consumption
- Discuss Energy Management Control Systems (EMCS), load shedding EMCS design principles
- Discuss good practice guidelines for designing an energy efficient electrical system, including emergency power supply and UPS system
Hard but great learning course
Good overview of sustainable design strategies