M-007 Passive Solar Buildings
- 7 (Registered)
Passive Solar Buildings
The Passive Solar Buildings online PDH course is a part of the Mechanical Engineering category of courses. This course is an introduction to passive solar technology to heat buildings. It will tell you about the basic passive systems and climate considerations you need to know about. You will gain knowledge about guidelines for schematic design of passive solar buildings and will learn the foundation to move forward with passive solar design as an integral part of your building design skills.
Passive solar energy is one of the most efficient forms of energy in the world. Not only does it reduce the cost of energy for your home, company, agency or clients, it reduces the demand on limited global energy supplies and avoids carbon emissions and other global environmental impacts associated with energy production and utilization. Participants will learn about the basic systems and building features that can be used to passively heat buildings using solar energy. You will learn how to evaluate climate and solar availability to determine feasibility of cost-effective passive solar systems at specific project sites. You will gain knowledge of guidelines to use in preparing feasibility studies for passive solar projects.
Participants will receive the framework they need to take a leadership position in implementation of passive solar building design in their companies, firms and agencies. You will learn the fundamentals that will allow you to move forward design cost-effective and efficient passive solar buildings.
This course will be of interest to architectural, civil, structural, mechanical and electrical engineers; federal, state and local public works and infrastructure officials; and managers with private companies responsible for design, construction, operation and maintenance of buildings and related infrastructure.
At the end of the course, you will:
- Learn about direct gain heating systems
- Learn about radiant panel systems
- Learn about thermosiphoning air panel systems
- Learn about thermal storage walls
- Learn about sunspaces
- Learn about characteristic weather parameters
- Learn about climate and conservation measures
- Learn about solar availability
- Learn about guidelines for schematic design
- Learn how to manage the fundamental heat transfer mechanisms of conduction, convection and radiation to reduce energy consumption when heating buildings.
- Learn ways to reduce nighttime heating requirements using the heat sink principle.
- Learn how to maximize utilization of solar radiation by effective orientation of your building on its site.
- Learn why avoidance of incremental cooling load is important for reducing energy consumption.