M-002 MEP Sustainable Design Guide: 6 PDH
Description of the MEP Sustainable Design Guide course / activity content
This 6 hour PDH online MEP Sustainable Design Guide course is part of Mechanical category courses and provides guidance on the sustainable design of mechanical, electrical and plumbing building systems. It provides details on high-performance engineering design fundamentals and requirements, and covers all building systems such as mechanical, electrical, plumbing, lighting, central plant, metering and building control systems. The course explores various concept of building systems design and provides the basis for designing energy efficient buildings.
Although this course is based on the Los Alamos National Laboratory report LA-UR 02-6914, called “LANL Sustainable Design Guide”, the principals covered here can be extended to all other building types.
This course is intended for use by mechanical, electrical and plumbing engineers, environmental and sustainability professionals, design and construction professionals, students and others interested in learning about sustainable MEP design.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand what constitutes high-performance engineering design and how it can be applied to design of sustainable buildings
- Understand natural daylighting, different sources of artificial light (incandescent, clear glass, fluorescent), and different lighting concepts (direct vs indirect) and how they influence the design of other systems
- Conceptually design an HVAC system that provides a comfortable and healthy indoor environment by using energy efficient principles
- Discuss HVAC zones, peak load analysis, and system selection
- Understand central plant systems, including chilled water, hot water, and Combined Heat and Power (CHP) plants
- Explain efficient indoor plumbing fixtures and systems, rainwater harvesting, recycling systems, and how they contribute to reduced water consumption
- Discuss Energy Management Control Systems (EMCS), load shedding EMCS design principles
- Discuss good practice guidelines for designing an energy efficient electrical system, including emergency power supply and UPS system
Refunds and Cancellation Policies
The course is accepted by the Professional Engineering boards in states listed on this page. In an unlikely case the course is not accepted by the board listed on this page, we will refund the full payment and will pay for you to take another course of equivalent monetary and PDH / CEU value. For complete list of courses related to Mechanical Engineering please click here.
Length of the Course / Activity
This course is intended to be studied at self-pace and it should take on average of 6 hours to read and be able to comprehend the material to successfully past the online quiz
To receive the certificate of completion for the above 6 PDH online course, you will need to take a 35 question multiple choice quiz based on the reference material supplied and pass with minimum score of 70%. There is no time limit for the quiz and it can be taken multiple times until a passing score of 70% is achieved
Certificate of Completion
Once you achieve a passing score of 70% on the quiz you will receive and be able to print your Certificate of Completion as a record of your continuing education. PDH Star will keep a record of your certificate for the duration as required by your state of licensure. You will be able to log on to your account and view and print your past Certificate of Completion
This course is accepted in all states mandating continuing education:
AK, AL, AR, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY
For detailed state by state requirements click here
Do you need help choosing the right course or package for you? Please give us a call or send us an email and we will be happy to provide guidance on which courses are most relevant for you and create a customary course package
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 6 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 1
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self