OG-013 ExxonMobil Baton Rouge Refinery Disaster: 3 PDH
ExxonMobil Baton Rouge Refinery Disaster
The ExxonMobil Baton Rouge Refinery Disaster 3 hour PDH online course is a part of the Oil & Gas category courses. An isobutane release and fire seriously injured four workers in the sulfuric acid alkylation unit at the ExxonMobil Refinery in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. This course highlights the details of the incident and its causes, provides key safety lessons, and communicates industry safety guidance with the goal of preventing a similar incident.
This course is based on the US Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board publication “Key Lessons from the ExxonMobil Baton Rouge Refinery Isobutane Release and Fire”.
This course is intended for petroleum, civil and mechanical engineers, and other design and construction professionals interested in how to prevent safety incidents in the Oil and Gas industry.
This online PDH course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Describe how and why the safety incident happened
- Describe how the safety incident could have been prevented
- Understand plug valve design
- Describe equipment design good practice
- Explain how a human factor plays a part in safety incidents
- Explain how written procedures, training, and organizational culture play an important role in preventing safety incidents
- Explain key lessons learned from the ExxonMobile Baton Rouge Refinery Disaster
To receive the certificate of completion for the above 3 PDH online course, you will need to take a 15-question multiple choice quiz based on the reference material supplied and pass with minimum score of 70%. There is no time limit for the quiz and it can be taken multiple times until a passing score of 70% is achieved.
Certificate of Completion
Once you achieve a passing score of 70% on the quiz you will receive and be able to print your Certificate of Completion as a record of your continuing education. PDH Star will keep a record of your certificate for the duration as required by your state of licensure. You will be able to log on to your account and view and print your past Certificate of Completion.
The above course is accepted in all states. For detailed state by state requirements click here.
- Lectures 13
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 3 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 2
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Self
OG-13 ExxonMobil Baton Rouge Refinery Disaster
- 1.0 Introduction
- 2.0 Incident Description
- 3.0 Incident Analysis
- 3.1 Plug Valve Gearbox Reliability
- 3.2 Equipment Design and Human Factors Analysis
- 3.3 Written Procedures
- 3.4 Training
- 3.5 Organizational Culture
- 4.0 Key Lessons
- 5.0 Safety Guidance
- 6.0 ExxonMobil Post-Incident Actions
- 7.0 Causal Analysis
- 8.0 Video: Fire at Baton Rouge
- OG-13 ExxonMobil Baton Rouge Refinery Disaster Final Assessment