SE-001 Design Guide – Seismic Design for Hospitals
- 0 (Registered)
Design Guide – Seismic Design for Hospitals
The Seismic Design for Hospitals 6 hour PDH online course is a part of the Structural category courses. This course provides guidelines on potential earthquake damage to hospitals and how these facilities can most efficiently improve their expected performance. An explanation of the nature and probability of earthquakes is provided, together with procedures for determining the approximate earthquake threat to specific locations. Typical seismic damages and the possible resulting effects on building function or risk to occupants are described and related to standard damage states currently used in performance-based earthquake engineering design.
The enhanced performance normally expected from hospitals is discussed, specifically as it relates to protection of inpatients and provision of care for the injured and other outpatients. Since many older buildings may not have been designed for seismic forces, particularly for enhanced performance, estimation of the actual expected performance is critical for adequate emergency planning.
This course is based on Chapter 2 of FEMA 577, “Design Guide for Improving Hospital Safety in Earthquakes, Floods, and High Winds: Providing Protection to People and Buildings”.
This course is intended for use by civil and structural engineers, design and construction professionals, owners, facility managers, students and others interested in learning about seismic design for hospitals.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to explain and will gain the following knowledge and skills:
- Describe the nature and probability of earthquakes, as well as type and measurement of earthquake effects
- Explain various seismic parameters, such as acceleration, amplification and soil type, period etc.
- Explain critical building characteristics, e.g. period, damping, ductility, drift, building irregularity
- Describe the fundamentals of performance based seismic design and categorize performance levels
- Categorize structural and non-structural damage
- Explain main risk mitigation measures such as site selection, structural system type, risk mitigation for non-structural components
SE-001 Design Guide - Seismic Design for Hospitals