W-CE-008 Frost Protected Shallow Foundations
- 5 (Registered)
Frost Protected Shallow Foundations Webinar
Frost Protected Shallow Foundations online PDH webinar is a part of our group of on-demand online webinars. A frost protected shallow foundation (FPSF) is a practical alternative to a deeper, more-costly foundation in cold regions with seasonal ground freezing and the potential for frost heave.
The International Residential Code® (IRC) includes prescriptive methods for constructing frost protected shallow foundations in heated buildings. By the IRC reference to ASCE 32-01 (American Society of Civil Engineers, Design and Construction of Frost-Protected Shallow Foundations, 2001), FPSFs in semi-heated and unheated buildings that meet the requirements of the IRC may also be designed and constructed.
The webinar provides methods for designing the FPSF, selecting insulating materials as well as its’ limits and typical applications. Both simplified FPSF design method and detailed FPSF design method (for both heated and unheated buildings) is introduced. The webinar also covers construction methodology and various construction details such as prevention of cold bridges, drainage, energy efficiency, frost protection during construction, calculation of R values as well as insulation protection.
This webinar is intended for use by civil, structural, mechanical and environmental engineers, architects, sustainability design and construction professionals and others interested in learning about the frost protected shallow foundations.
At the end of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Understand applications and limitations of the FPSF method
- Be able to explain different types of insulation available for use with FPSF method
- Understand and be able to apply minimum insulation requirements for heated buildings
- Understand and be able to design foundations by using a Simplified FPSF Method for Heated Buildings
- Understand and be able to design foundations by using a Detailed FPSF Method for Heated Buildings
- Be able to explain and use the step by step process for design using Detailed FPSF Method for Heated Buildings
- Understand and be able to design foundations by using a Detailed FPSF Method for Unheated Buildings
- Be able to explain and use the step by step process for design using Detailed FPSF Method for Unheated Buildings
- Understand and be able to apply construction details such as monolithic slab / slab on grade, independent slab and stem wall, unventilated crawlspace etc.
- Understand insulation requirement for energy conservation