W-CE-011 Secondary Wastewater Treatment
- 2 (Registered)
Secondary Wastewater Treatment Webinar
The Secondary Wastewater Treatment online PDH webinar is a part of our group of on-demand online webinars. This is an introduction to design parameters and methods, equipment and processes for the secondary treatment of wastewater.
Wastewater treatment is usually characterized as consisting of four sequential processes: preliminary, primary, secondary and tertiary treatment. This course will introduce you to processes and equipment for secondary treatment of wastewater. You will be introduced to descriptions, functions and design considerations for trickling filter plants, activated sludge plants, and wastewater treatment ponds. You will learn how the secondary treatment processes work together with the preliminary, primary, tertiary and sludge handling processes to form a complete wastewater treatment plant.
This course is intended for civil, environmental and mechanical engineers, technicians and construction professionals wanting an introduction to the processes, equipment and design considerations for the third phase of wastewater treatment….secondary treatment.
At the end of the webinar, you will be able to:
- Apply design basis and criteria for trickling filter plants
- Apply the different dosing intervals for different classifications of trickling filters
- Discuss the biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) efficiency of different classifications of trickling filters
- Explain how re-circulation increases BOD removal efficiency in high rate trickling filter processes.
- Draw the four common flow diagrams for single stage trickling filter plants.
- Draw the four common flow diagrams for two stage trickling filter plants.
- Explain why loading rate is the key design factor whether the surface application is continuous, intermittent, constant or varying rate.
- Explain the importance of ventilation in providing aerobic conditions for effective treatment.
- Discuss how performance of trickling filters will be affected by temperature changes in the wastewater and filter films.
- Apply design formulas for determining BOD removal efficiencies for single and two stage trickling filters.
- Describe the purpose of secondary sedimentation tanks.
- Explain the conventional plug-flow activated sludge process.
- Explain the step aeration activated sludge process.
- Describe the contact stabilization activated sludge process.
- Describe the completely-mixed activated sludge process.
- Explain closed-loop reactor (oxidation ditch) extended aeration process.
- Apply classifications of wastewater treatment ponds.
- Discuss shallow and aerated aerobic ponds.
- Discuss aerobic-anaerobic wastewater treatment ponds.
- Discuss facultative wastewater treatment ponds.