W-EE-002 Exterior Electrical Power Distribution
- 3 (Registered)
Exterior Electric Power Distribution Webinar
The Exterior Electric Power Distribution online PDH webinar is a part of our group of on-demand online webinars. This webinar is an introduction to the standards and practices for planning and design of exterior electrical distribution systems.
This webinar provides policy and guidance for design criteria and standards for electrical power and distribution systems. The information provided here must be utilized by electrical engineers in the development of the plans, specifications, and calculations, and must serve as the minimum electrical design requirements. It is applicable to the traditional electrical services customary for Design-Bid-Build construction contracts and for Design-Build construction contracts. Project conditions may dictate the need for a design that exceeds these minimum requirements. The design criteria and standards presented in this webinar are the minimum requirements acceptable for installations for efficiency, economy, durability, maintainability, and reliability of electrical power supply and distribution systems.
This webinar is intended for electrical engineers and other design and construction professionals wanting an introduction to exterior electrical power distribution systems.
At the end of the webinar, you will be able to:
- Apply guidelines for selection of primary voltage;
- Discuss main electric supply station;
- Distinguish how design utilization electric supply stations differ from main electric supply stations;
- Explain primary unit substations to distribute underground medium voltage circuits;
- Apply design criteria for secondary unit substations;
- Apply guidelines for design and installation of pad-mounted transformers;
- Discuss medium voltage switchgear;
- Explain application of pad-mounted sectionalizing termination cabinets;
- Explain application and limitation guidelines for power factor correction or to minimize line losses;
- Apply “best practices” for exterior electric power distribution;
- Apply criteria for overhead power distribution lines;
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of copper versus aluminum conductors for exterior electrical power distribution;
- Determine when and where to apply surge arrestors;
- Explain the fundamentals of fuse protection; and
- Discuss underground electrical distribution systems.