M-011 Diesel Engine Fundamentals
- 0 (Registered)
Diesel Engine Fundamentals
The Diesel Engine Fundamentals online 4 PDH course is a part of the Mechanical Engineering category of courses. This online course provides a general description of the purpose behind the use of diesel engines and provides guidance on how 2-cycle and 4-cycle diesel engines operate.
The diesel engine is a finely tuned engineered machine that requires all it’s components to operate in highly synchronized manner. The major components are described in detail based on their purpose in the overall engine process and their specific function. As with any highly engineered machine safety features must be put in place to either alarm. A brief discussion of common safety features is provided.
This online PDH course is based on the Department of Energy series “Mechanical Science”, Module 1 publication DOE-HDBK-1018/1-93 “Diesel Engine Fundamentals”.
This course is intended for mechanical engineers and other construction professionals interested in learning about diesel engines.
Upon completion of this online PDH course course, you will be able to:
- Define common terms associated with diesel engines
- Visually identify common diesel engine components
- Understand the function of the common components
- Explain how the diesel engine converts chemical energy into mechanical energy
- Explain how the ignition process works
- Explain the operation and sub-processes of 4-cycle & 2-cycle diesel engines
- Explain how engine speed is controlled
- List 5 safety functions