SE-003 Design Guide – Flood Design for Hospitals
- PDH Courses and Webinars, Public Health, Structural
- 0 (Registered)
Design Guide – Flood Design for Hospitals
The Design Guide – Flood Design for Hospitals 12 hour PDH online course is a part of the Structural category courses. This course introduces the physical nature and mechanics of floods and explains how flood probabilities are determined and how flood hazard areas are identified. It describes the types of flood damage that can result when hospitals are in flood hazard areas or are affected by flooding. A series of requirements and best practices are introduced that facility owners, planners, and designers should consider for reducing the risks from flooding to new hospitals and to existing facilities located in areas prone to flooding.
This course highlights why avoidance of flood hazard areas is the most effective way to minimize the life-safety risk to patients, staff, and the citizens who rely on these facilities, as well as to minimize the potential for damage to buildings and other elements of hospitals. When an existing facility is exposed to flooding, or if a new facility is proposed to be located in a flood hazard area, steps need to be taken to minimize the risks. A well-planned, designed, constructed, and maintained hospital should be able to withstand damage and remain functional after a flooding event, even one of low probability.
This course is based on Chapter 3 of FEMA 577, “Design Guide for Improving Hospital Safety in Earthquakes, Floods, and High Winds: Providing Protection to People and Buildings”.
This course is intended for use by architects, civil and structural engineers, design and construction professionals, owners, facility managers, students and others interested in learning about flood design for hospitals.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to explain and will gain the following knowledge and skills:
- Describe the nature and probability of flood occurrence, as well as flood characteristics and loads
- Explain impact of flood design parameters and be able to read and interpret flood hazard maps and zones
- Interpret building codes
- Identify and propose mitigation measures for existing hospitals in flood hazard areas
- Assess vulnerability of various building components (structural, non-structural, medical equipment, utility systems)
- Describe best design practices in flood hazard areas
- Discuss risk mitigation measures at existing hospital sites
SE-003 Design Guide - Flood Design for Hospitals