Worker SST Card for NYC
Worker SST card, or Site Safety SST card as it is officially known, is a Local Law 196 requirement for all construction and demolition workers on sites in NYC requiring a Site Safety Plan or Site Safety Manager, Site Safety Coordinator, or Superintendent. The Worker SST card typically requires a minimum of 40 hours of safety training to obtain the Worker (Site Safety) SST Card.
There are two ways to obtain your Worker or Site Safety SST Card:
New Entrants to NYC Construction Market
If you started work in New York City after December 1, 2019, you are classified as a “new entrant” by the NYC Department of Buildings (DOB) and you must obtain an OSHA 10 Department of Labor card before starting to work on any construction site in New York City. The following is required for new entrants to obtain the Worker SST card:
- Complete OSHA 10 Outreach Training for Construction. After completion of the OSHA 10 training the worker can apply for the Temporary SST Card valid for 6 months. This is the fastest way to start working on a construction site in New York City, as the OSHA 10 can be completed in just over one day – OSHA limits the training to maximum of 7.5 hours per day.
- Complete additional 30 Hours of Site Safety Training (SST) courses within the 6 months of receiving the Temporary SST card. To obtain the full Worker or Site Safety SST card valid for 5 years, a total of 40 training hours are required. The following courses are required in order to obtain the Worker SST card:
- 8-Hour Fall Prevention
- 8-Hour Site Safety Manager Refresher / Chapter 33
- 4-Hour Supported Scaffold User / Refresher
- 2-Hour Drug and Alcohol Awareness
- 4 hours of General Elective SST courses
- 4 hours of Specialized Elective SST courses
Existing NYC Construction Workers
If you started work in New York City before December 1, 2019, you must obtain the Worker or Site Safety SST card before working on a construction site in NYC. The following courses are required for to obtain the Worker SST card for workers already working on construction sites in NYC:
- Complete OSHA 30 Outreach Training for Construction. Completion of the OSHA 30 Outreach Training for Construction allows you to obtain the official Department of Labor (DOL) OSHA card. Unless you complete all the training with the same provider, you need to have received the actual OSHA card before you can be issued the SST card. Certificate of Completion from a different provider alone is not sufficient to receive an SST card.
- Complete additional 10 Hours of Site Safety Training (SST) courses. To obtain the full Worker or Site Safety SST card valid for 5 years, a total of 40 training hours (combined with the OSHA 30) are required. The following courses are required in order to obtain the Worker SST card:
Holders of OSHA 30 Outreach Training DOL Card
If you already have your OSHA 30 card, you need to complete additional 10 Hours of SST training to be able to apply for your Worker SST card. The following courses are required to bring you to the required 40 hours of safety training and that you become eligible to receive the Worker SST card:
How Long is the SST Card Valid For?
The Worker SST card obtained with a minimum of 40 credits is valid for 5 years from the date of issue. The card can be renewed by taking additional 8 Hours of SST training for an additional 5 year period. OSHA card does not expire although, to apply for your first SST card, your OSHA training must be not older than 5 years.
Which Courses Are Acceptable for Obtaining the Worker SST NYC Card?
You must complete your training through an DOB approved training provider. PDH STAR is an approved provider with license number 6M86. Courses can be either online (actively proctored) or in person / Zoom. All of PDH STAR online training courses comply with the DOB requirements.
PDH STAR offers the 40-Hour and the 10-Hour SST packages in English and Spanish, as well as 10-Hour SST package in Russian. All courses are online, on-demand, anytime – you can complete all the training at your own pace, in the comfort and safety of your home or office. The training can be completed on any web enabled device with a camera.